Monday, August 18, 2008

What Are You Looking For?

Every year on our vacation at the beach I look for shark's teeth along the shoreline. When I was a little girl, my daddy would frequently take us to the beach and he would find dozens of them, teaching me along the way how to find them and what to look for. I still love to search for them and add more treasures to my jar at home. This year as I walked along the beach I encountered two girls who were searching for and finding starfish. I was intrigued and I stopped them and asked them how they were finding them. They said that all you do is look for star shapes in the wet sand and then lift the starfish from under the top layer of sand. And as my family and I started looking for them, we found a half dozen. Wow! All these years of hunting for shark's teeth and I never noticed star shapes in the sand.

We usually find what we are looking for. I never found starfish because I was looking for teeth. And then I wondered to myself what I might be missing in my life by looking for something else. What about you? Are you finding hurt because you aren't looking for forgiveness? Are you finding failure because you aren't looking for success? Are you finding self because you aren't looking for Him?

0 comments: