Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Should It Stay Or Should It Go???

I am moving soon.  To a much smaller abode.  As we await the sale of our spacious home in Florida we will be living in a cozy (and by cozy I mean really small) rental in Georgia and so now comes the task of deciding what to take and what to leave.  The thing about stuff is that we get so attached to some stuff and other stuff we don't even realize we have until we open a cabinet or move something out of the way and discover some useless pile of junk that we have had for who knows how long.  "Whose idea was it to buy this??" "What possessed me to keep that??"  "What IS this thing, anyway?"


I am considering throwing out much of what we don't find necessary to take with us.  But some things that I will leave here for now, like my grandmother's jello molds and my mother's high school annuals, well, those are keepers.  Call me sentimental...I totally am.  Those jello molds and annuals and old black and white photos, even the big jar of buttons from so many outfits my grandmother wore, are my connection to something that has become intangible.  They help me to touch what no longer is and therefore feed my soul.  The broken food processor, the now-out-of- style Birkenstocks and the snaggle-toothed rake?  Yardsale fodder.  But all those yesterdays wrapped up in the playing cards that my grandmother used for her "Wednesday Afternoon Bridge Club that met on Fridays" and that still smell like her?  Yeah, I will be keeping those. 


2 comments:

Joylene Green December 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM  

correction: birkenstocks never go out of style.

Ami December 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

Wow! Sounds like lots of change in store for you.

As for all that stuff you no longer want, I can totally relate. One of the reasons I don't mind moving is that it gives me the opportunity to "sort and give." I highly recommend Freecycle.org for getting rid of whatever is still usable. You'd be amazed at what other people need, want or will use and then it doesn't end up in the landfills. :)