Monday, December 8, 2008

Savor Every Moment


My oldest son turned sixteen yesterday and, for some reason, I find it hard.  It is a wonder to watch him grow up and become a man, but I just wish that could happen and I could still keep my little boy who used to dress up in funny costumes and wallpaper my everyday life with his wild imagination.  I can remember lifting him out of the tub and wrapping him in a hooded towel and then watching as he would tear down the hallway, laughing wildly as I would chase him to his room and dress him in his footed pajamas.  He always smelled so good at night all curled up next to me on the couch and I would pray that those days would never end.  This week I get to take him to get his driver's license and then watch him as he tears down our street, laughing wildly at all that life has to offer, but this time I don't get to run after him.  You don't think about such things when you are changing diapers and wiping spit-up off of your shoes.  It is always a good idea to savor every moment...to remember the smell of their hair after a bath and their breath after they have eaten Play Doh.   My baby is nine and he still likes to cuddle on the couch with me at night after his bath and so I am still soaking it up.  If you have the chance, I hope you are, too.

3 comments:

Rachel December 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM  

Thanks for that encouragement.

Eddie Taylor December 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

killing me...thanks for making me cry at work.
Eddie

Jennifer S. Walsh December 8, 2008 at 8:18 PM  

Wow, sixteen, really? Mya totally had her first "naked" escapade after a bath last week. It was just too fun, and cute, cute, cute! We could tell how she was so proud of herself! Oh, the squishy, dimply, hiney, and the devilish giggles...Beth, you can just come on over and enjoy time with us and Mya! Love ya, dear friend!