Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Jumbles

--Well, bloggy friends, my jumbled thoughts this week are coming to you all from another state...the great state of Georgia. This could mean that they will be 76% more southern or 53% more backward. Either way you still have to love me!


--I met one of my new neighbors this week. She is 95 years old and comes from the state of Nebraska. Apparently she has found that southerners do not live up to the friendly reputation that they have somehow garnered over the years. I helped change her mindset when my dog helped himself to a sniff of her dog and I struck up a convo with her. She was great. I love older people!!

--I have a good friend who tells me that people I meet in public places would not tell me their whole life story while checking my groceries if I would just not make eye contact with them. I wondered if this might be true as I stood at the checkout counter at PetSmart this week and learned all about the clerks mother and her Yorkies "that she got for free because no one wanted them and how could anyone ever not want a Yorkie and wouldn't everyone want to have one if they didn't have to pay so gosh-awful much for them!"

-- I have decided that eye contact is my gift to mankind as some people seldom get to experience that type of engagement with another human being. I am just going to have to start allowing for more time when I run errands. It's either that or I start wearing dark glasses and pretend to have a disturbing tic.

--I went to see Fantasy in Lights at Callaway Gardens this week and for my eyes it was magical. For my butt it was less than magical as I was seated in the back of a pickup with my sons and my sister-in-law. If you get the chance, go see it, but I highly recommend riding in a car.

--Confession: I got a speeding ticket on the way to Columbus the day we were moving. In my defense, I was trying to catch up to the moving truck that Eddie was driving which was way ahead of me as I had to go back to Lake City to get something important that we left. Funny, the state trooper that pulled me over did not seem one bit enchanted by me and he did not even try to tell me his life story. Bet I get coal in my stocking next week as I have been so very naughty!

3 comments:

Sharon Miner December 19, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

I would like to point out that when some people say, "Don't make eye contact," they mean if you don't have time to talk, wait till the end of your order before making eye contact, and saying nice things to the cashier. Because some people also believe that eye contact is very important, but if you don't have time you always wait till the end of your order. This is especially true when there is a long line of people behind you and there is a chatty cashier. I mean some people would say this...

P.S. Some people also believe that you should have your form of payment completely ready when checking it. It's flow of traffic thing.

Beth Brawley Taylor December 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

I always have my form of payment completely ready and it is usually after I have paid that the said cashier downloads their life history or current problems on me. Some folks just have a "please talk to me" target on them!

B December 20, 2008 at 10:02 PM  

Definite sympathy, as I have inherited my mother's ability to attract persons with the longest and strangest life stories. I also tend to suspect that very little of the coal-in-stocking causing "naughtiness" is related to the state trooper... just guessing... we miss you guys!!!