Monday, October 6, 2008

Profoundly Grateful

My heart is heavy tonight.  I have been sitting here reading cards and letters (and crying my blasted eyes out) from so many of our wonderful friends at Christian Heritage Church whom we have had the privilege of pastoring and loving for the past four years.  Never have we felt the sense of "belonging" that we feel here with these people, our people,  and even as we leave and head into the next adventure, our hearts will always have a home here. 


I am especially thankful that God allowed me to be in this place with these people during the long year of caring for my mother through her illness and death.  I cannot imagine finding anywhere else the enduring love that I found here among my church family.  It was like being wrapped in a warm blanket during the coldest time of my life. 

If I have learned anything from this past year it is the importance of grieving.  It is so very necessary to allow your heart time to grieve over and release anything that will no longer be.  So now I begin the important process of letting this season of my life go although a part of me would love to hold onto it for just a little while longer.  It is easy to walk away from seasons of difficulty and pain, but it is a labor of the heart to give up what has been so precious and good.  I know that God will hold carefully my aching heart and I will cooperate with Him in this as I cry and laugh and remember so many wonderful yesterdays we have had here.  

It is a wonder to be allowed to love others and a miracle to be loved in return.  This has been a four year parade of wonders and miracles and for this I am profoundly grateful.

3 comments:

Rachel October 7, 2008 at 9:12 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel October 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

We too are profoundly grateful. We have always been and will continue to be family. We can't wait to see what God will do in your lives!

Mike's Thoughts October 7, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

You guys are really awesome and I thank you for helping my family through a very rough time for us. We too experienced the death of Lisa's mom and are still grieving. But like you said, we have had a wonderful church family to help us. We had one thing you did not have, YOU!!!
We are family and family sticks together. We love you