Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Caped Crusader Grew Up!

Yesterday was the 14th birthday of my middle son, David. He is 5' 9" so we see eye to eye now and he has a deep voice, hairy legs and a haircut I would have never chosen. My hubs and I have always called him Dave the Brave because he was so fascinated with super heroes as a little boy. When he didn't have on clothes he would still wear a cape of some sort even if it was nothing more than his baby blanket draped around his shoulders and fastened with a clothes pin. Now his shoulders are always draped with a guitar strap and the world he lives in is no longer fraught with evil villains, but riffs he is trying to master.

Where does the time go? And how has that little boy with the glow-in-the-dark smile and the big imagination become a young man with such big dreams? I so love having three sons. I love the privilege of watching them change and become. And I have to bite my tongue sometimes and remember that listening to my teenagers is far more important than lecturing, fussing, and rubbing their noses in their mistakes. That is what God does for me. Although He encompasses all wisdom and knowledge, He never beats me up with His words. He never rubs my nose in my failures. Instead, He invites me to draw near to Him, to know Him intimately and to be loved. And He lets me feel the consequences of my actions. What a great parent God is and I run to Him every day as I try to follow His example. I thought the "terrible twos" were hard...no one told me about the "heaven help me they are teenagers-now what??" Some things you just have to figure out on your own!

2 comments:

Rachel March 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Something to look forward to.

Kristen Allen March 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Awe...I remember David Ray Taylor when I used to babysit him and he had the superman pj's with the red cape and he would run around the house in them....sigh...so cute!