Saturday, March 1, 2008

Spongebob :Torture for the Modern Parent

I just spent a mind-numbing half hour watching Spongebob with my eight-year-old son and it affirmed my staunch belief that Americans should spend more time reading books or cleaning their toilets or having a root canal. As a parent, I take spending time with my children very seriously, but as a thinking adult, I must draw the line somewhere. There are just some things that I should not have to endure and watching Spongebob is right up there with watching my dog vomit in the yard or watching maggots squirm in the bottom of a trash can. I know that there are plenty of respectable adults who do not share my opinion, but I just have to say that they are entirely and completely wrong. Nevertheless, in my efforts at finding common ground with my sons, I will probably have to watch Spongebob again. At least it is not as embarrassing for me as trying to learn to play Megaman on my son's Gameboy. Not a big win for Beth. But spending time with my kids? A big win for everyone.

2 comments:

Melissa King March 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM  

i feel you on that one...it is torture for me too!